Guides, Hackintosh, Technology, Tip

Enable macOS Volume Controls for HDMI and DisplayPort Audio Devices

Another Hackintosh post…it’s been bothering me that I couldn’t control the volume of my Hackintosh through the use of the volume buttons on my keyboard (by default macOS won’t let you control the volume of an HDMI device and my sound is output through HDMI on my video card). After googling around a bit I managed to find a solution using Soundflower that I thought I’d share:

  1. Download this zip file (it contains two .dmgs we’ll need for the next steps)
  2. Unzip the file and open the Soundflower.dmg double click the Soundflower.pkg and follow the installation steps
  3. Repeat step 2 but with the Soundflowerbed.dmg
  4. Click the Soundflowerbed in the menu bar and set the 2ch option to point towards your HDMI/DisplayPort input:
  5. Open up Sound in System Preferences and set the Output/Input to Soundflower (2ch)

You should be able to control the audio coming through your device via your keyboard now! I’ve been using it for the better part of a day listening to music pretty much without issue. It glitched once for a few seconds, but clicking the Soundflowerbed icon in the menu bar, changing the source away from Soundflower and then immediately back fixed it instantly.

Guides, Hackintosh, Side Project, Technology

Building a Hackintosh with macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

macOS Sierra Hackintosh Desktop


Over the last year or so, I’ve been finding my 13-inc MacBook Pro severely lacking in the power department. While I was able to deal with it for a while, while I was doing strict development work, recently a series of requests to edit some videos rolled in and I found myself struggling to keep Final Cut Pro from crashing every fifteen minutes as I clipped and subtitled the pieces. Finally fed up, I decided to build a Hackintosh after realizing—quite frankly—that I couldn’t afford a genuine Mac (and that I could make a machine way more powerful than what I’d be buying for 1/3 of the price).

That being said, I know that the process can be arduous—it took me about 4 hours to get everything working right—so I figured I’d share what I did to get my build up and running (since I hadn’t seen anyone with the exact same configuration). Two quick things before we get started, though. First and foremost, a quick disclaimer:

Random, Side Project, Writing

iA Writer Theme for Typora

typora-ia-horizontal

iA Writer has been my text editor of choice for years now, it’s simple, fast, and distraction free. It lets me get work done quickly regardless of how long (or short) the piece I’m working is. My one complaint, however, was that it limited me to working on my laptop, which is super inconvenient when I’m at home and feel like working on my Windows desktop. That’s when I came across Typora.

While it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of iA Writer, and admittedly isn’t as polished, it has all the core functions I find myself using most (most specifically Focus Mode), and it works on both Windows and macOSwhich is exactly what I need when I feel like working from my desktop. Furthermore, if you hook up Dropbox sync to iA Writer the two apps play very nicely together. In an effort to make the experience as similar as possible between both of my computers, though, I went ahead and touched up an old Typora iA Writer theme I found on GitHub to more closely match the current version of the app.