Another Hackintosh post…it’s been bothering me that I couldn’t control the volume of my Hackintosh through the use of the volume buttons on my keyboard (by default macOS won’t let you control the volume of an HDMI device and my sound is output through HDMI on my video card). After googling around a bit I managed to find a solution using Soundflower that I thought I’d share:
- Download this zip file (it contains two .dmgs we’ll need for the next steps)
- Unzip the file and open the Soundflower.dmg double click the Soundflower.pkg and follow the installation steps
- Repeat step 2 but with the Soundflowerbed.dmg
- Click the Soundflowerbed in the menu bar and set the 2ch option to point towards your HDMI/DisplayPort input:
- Open up Sound in System Preferences and set the Output/Input to Soundflower (2ch)
You should be able to control the audio coming through your device via your keyboard now! I’ve been using it for the better part of a day listening to music pretty much without issue. It glitched once for a few seconds, but clicking the Soundflowerbed icon in the menu bar, changing the source away from Soundflower and then immediately back fixed it instantly.