Guides, Hackintosh, Side Project, Technology

Building a Hackintosh with macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

macOS Sierra Hackintosh Desktop

Over the last year or so, I’ve been finding my 13-inc MacBook Pro severely lacking in the power department. While I was able to deal with it for a while, while I was doing strict development work, recently a series of requests to edit some videos rolled in and I found myself struggling to keep Final Cut Pro from crashing every fifteen minutes as I clipped and subtitled the pieces. Finally fed up, I decided to build a Hackintosh after realizing—quite frankly—that I couldn’t afford a genuine Mac (and that I could make a machine way more powerful than what I’d be buying for 1/3 of the price).

That being said, I know that the process can be arduous—it took me about 4 hours to get everything working right—so I figured I’d share what I did to get my build up and running (since I hadn’t seen anyone with the exact same configuration). Two quick things before we get started, though. First and foremost, a quick disclaimer:

Side Project, Tip

How to Remove All Slack Files Older than 30 Days (With Ruby!)

Over the past year or so I’ve been hosting (moderating?) a private slack channel for some of my friends from high school and previous jobs. What started as a small channel of about five people as since grown into a small community of around forty. While this isn’t an enormous number, it’s large enough that we’ve been eating through our storage space rather quickly. My first thought was to go to the Slack management console, erase a bunch of old files, and be about my day. Unfortunately, unless you’re on a paid tier you can’t manage files very well (you’d have to remove each one individually…and seeing as around 98% of our files were tiny memes that would take forever).

Enter Ruby!

After some Googling around I found this awesome gist that did the bulk of the work for me. I just replaced the throwaway token with my own and saved the script. That should have been the end of it, but I kept getting a series of SSL errors on my Windows 10 machine that wouldn’t let me run the code.

Side Project, Writing

Bookerly Typora Theme

Bookerly Typora Theme

I decided to try my hand at another theme for Typora, this time using a pair of Google fonts I thought went particularly well together. I incorporated a lot of the same modifications I made to my iA Writer themes earlier today (similar margins etc.) but definitely took far more liberties with the design as I wasn’t trying to mimic anything in particular. Headers are red and all caps, while I added indentation to every paragraph to give the layout a more “booky” feel.

I haven’t sat down and tried to write using it for an extended period of time, but I’m confident Vollkorn (the theme’s main font) will be easy on the eyes even after working on a project for hours at a time.

Anyhow, if the screenshot is to your liking, you can download a zip of my theme here. No GitHub link yet, but I should have one up sometime tomorrow. I’ve also made a few updates to my iA Writer theme if that’s more to your liking. It should be a much closer match to  the actual iA Writer stylings now.

Random, Side Project, Writing

iA Writer Theme for Typora


iA Writer has been my text editor of choice for years now, it’s simple, fast, and distraction free. It lets me get work done quickly regardless of how long (or short) the piece I’m working is. My one complaint, however, was that it limited me to working on my laptop, which is super inconvenient when I’m at home and feel like working on my Windows desktop. That’s when I came across Typora.

While it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of iA Writer, and admittedly isn’t as polished, it has all the core functions I find myself using most (most specifically Focus Mode), and it works on both Windows and macOSwhich is exactly what I need when I feel like working from my desktop. Furthermore, if you hook up Dropbox sync to iA Writer the two apps play very nicely together. In an effort to make the experience as similar as possible between both of my computers, though, I went ahead and touched up an old Typora iA Writer theme I found on GitHub to more closely match the current version of the app.