Project Update

Building a Better Music App : Progress Report 1

IMG_5568

After finally getting myself organized two days ago, I’ve finally managed to put something together that actually feels like a somewhat legitimate player. It was a fair amount of hours to get it to the point it is now, but a couple of awesome Cocoapods (thank you BlurryModalSegue and SWRevealViewController!) really sped things up. Furthermore, using MPMediaController is a godsend compared to AVPlayer and I haven’t hit any of the limitations I was worried about running into yet.

As a whole, everything is simpler. Getting organized helped immensely. My code is shorter, easier to read, and more compartmentalized. I’ve been making an effort to comment up my code as I write it as well as taking advantage of pragma marks to be sure I don’t forget where I should insert code snippets I haven’t gotten around to writing yet:

Screen Shot 2014-06-27 at 10.33.00 AM

I’ll be doing a post sometime over the weekend comparing both code bases side by side, but as I haven’t gotten around to doing that yet, I’ve decided to upload a quick video (45 seconds) of my player in action.

I don’t have all of the base functionalities built out yet, but overall it’s at the point that I can use it during my morning commute to listen to music. I’m planning to finish up playlists over the weekend and hopefully get started working with the Spotify API. If I can get some basic functionalities implemented (loading a user’s playlists and playing songs) I’ll be making really good progress, so hopefully Spotify will refrain from updating their API until I get something serviceable.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *